Knowing how crucial First Contact would be, I joined an excellent adoption discussion group on Family Tree Forum
and found a group of individuals who I could bounce thoughts and idea's off. Making contact is a 50:50 spin of the wheel and getting in the successful 50% could be down to research and taking advise from others who have been there before.
When I was starting out I read about the experiences of others and it was obvious that everyone had different tales and there was no ‘right’ way of doing things. A lot is down to luck, but you can weight that ‘luck’ in your favour by following a few very basic rules :
- Don’t build up your hopes and you will never be disappointed.
- There is no template of the right or the wrong way.
- When you do get the opportunity to make contact, remember, you usually only get one shot at it.
- Give them your story without asking or expecting anything in return. Any information you get back from them must be voluntarily given without conditions.
- Never be confrontational and always give them a get out but at the same time leave the door open.
Good luck ..... if it was meant to be it probably will be, but sometimes it really could be down to luck.